VISION FOR ONE VOICE 2.0:
HEALTHY FAMILIES, HEALTHY COMMUNITIES
One Voice Texas works to better the physical, mental and economic health of the people of the Greater Houston area by supporting the policies, programs and conditions that effectively move families to stability and self-sustainability.
II. Operating Principles
As a policy collaborative whose 100+ members span the breadth of the non-profit sector, One Voice Texas plays a unique role in the Houston community by dedicating itself to advocating for—and managing the process of—systems change. One Voice’s role includes:
- Providing timely data and analysis to inform policy decisions about local health and human services needs;
- Convening and leading a robust community dialogue that engages providers, consumers and funders;
- Mobilizing stakeholders and local & state policymakers to jointly arrive at solutions that match the current and future realities of the Greater Houston area;
- Advocating for the tools needed—e.g., policy change, funding, collaborations, etc.—so that stakeholder-driven solutions can take effect; and
- Monitoring implementation of polices so as to track outcomes and suggest refinements.
III. Priority Areas: Building Blocks of Health & Opportunity
One Voice Texas is organized around the central axis of health and healthcare, which embraces not only access to clinical care but also those behavioral, environmental and socioeconomic factors (a.k.a. as the “social determinants”) that have the power to shape individual, family and community health and wellbeing.
A. SAFE FAMILIES: Protecting against threats to personal and family safety in the home (child welfare, domestic violence) and in the neighborhood. Workgroups: (1) Child Welfare (existing) & (2) Domestic Violence (new).
B. HEALTHY MINDS & BODIES: Improving community health by broadening access to preventative and primary healthcare and by ensuring equitable coverage for mental health.
Workgroups: (1) Integrated Health (re-centering of existing Behavioral Health & Healthcare groups) & (2) Community Health (new).
C. FUNDAMENTAL BUILDING BLOCKS: Focusing on the primary ingredients needed to maintain a healthy life–namely adequate & healthy food, available & affordable housing, energy/utilities, and transportation to work, worship, play and shop—and addressing policies and practices that trap families and undermine the work of member agencies. Workgroups: (1) Housing & Built Environment (revamp of existing) & (2) Barriers to Stability/Emerging Issues (new).
D. PATHWAYS TO ECONOMIC SUCCESS: Promoting pathways that lead to financial self-sufficiency and the intra-generational educational and economic mobility. Future Workgroup: (1) Workforce Development (new).
Above all, we recognize that One Voice is NOT a policy organization with members. OVT IS a member-driven, member-service organization whose deliverables are policy recommendations & policy change.
View our OVT Year in Review Reports